Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Unknown, Everyday Artist Creating Awe

After viewing Eric Whitacre's choir performance, I became fascinated with the idea of finding awe through social means.  It amazes me to think of how many talented people there are in the world that go undiscovered.  While we still aren't even stratching the surface, the internet has become a wonderful key to find awe through local artists that allow us to enter into their creative realm.  To me, even creating a website to upload art is a source of awe (you'll probably understand later on in this post as I lack necessary computer skills).  So I decided for my blog post I was going to introduce you to some of my friends and family who have created moments of awe with their artwork.  Everything I have accessed has been through the internet.  Without this medium the awe of local or aspiring artists couldn't be reached.  This is part of the awe of technology, and finding these inspirations can create excitement and add to the awe of their work.  Hopefully you can find some sort of awe, or even a respect for their creativity, in what they do.
1. Todd Wilson
I have known Todd for years, and I know that he is not only talented, but he is also extremely creative.  When I first saw his artwork when he preferred to work with paint.  His artwork is all around his house.  Everytime I see his work I feel as if I lack creativity in my own life.  He is now going to school as a graphic designer and works with digital art.  This was his interpretation of one of the deadly sins.  I believe that his creativity mixed with his talents, sets him apart from other artist I have seen.


2. Bola Rapha
Ok, I have to admit this is a video about my husband, but that isn't the reason why I am sharing it.  One of my husband's friends goes to Brooks Institute in California.  He is studying filmography and photography.  While he is still learning about his craft and refining his style, I believe that he powerfully evokes emotion and shares a beautiful story through his shots.  His ability to peace the story together is outstanding and he is still in school.  

I found his video through Facebook
 

3. Davey Miller
Davey is a Ventura local, professional surfer, father, Mormon, and artist.  It amazes me to know that artists live amongst mere mortals.  What I am trying to convey is that there are so many people among us that possess great talents, and so few receive the recognition they deserve.  Through the internet so many new awe inspiring moments can be opened to the eyes of the public.  While he was once a professional surfer, he has now found a way to continue to create through a new medium.  Both pictures I have shared are so different, one abstract, the other celebrates his passion for the water.  

I found his pictures on his personal website http://www.daveymiller.com/
4. Alexi Bullock
She starts with everyday items, and then photographs it.
It is amazing to see your friends reach different levels of success.  Creating new websites through live art is a new concept to me.  Having the eye for organization and color coordination is a meticulous skill that can also create works of art.  Knowing how to reproduce that into a website creatively is a definite skill.  There are different ways of creating art that exceed the limits of a canvas.  http://alexibullock.blogspot.com/
afterwards she creates a website for a company.
5. Ellen Wildhagen
Capturing the moment that tells a story.  While there is an overflow of photographers, and those who own fancy cameras, the awe can't always be captured.  Being able to succesfully manipulate colors and catching the moment can create moments of awe as we construct stories from a single frame.http://ellenwildhagen.com/
6. Morgan Maassen
A personal friend of my husband who focuses on filmography and the ocean.  I wasn't able to transfer the video from Vimeo, but hopefully this video will help you see how he films the ordinary and transforms it to something interesting.  The colors in this video showcase art in film.  It isn't always about the actors, but the person behind the camera can also create magic.
7. Mary Baum
This is where my computer skills start to fall through the cracks.  I wish I could have figured out how to put this movie online but I failed.  Digital moving art is a phenomena that can only be produced through the computer.  Knowing how to make it all connect and work showcases the awe of a patient mind that desires to create.
In order to see her digital moving art you can access it here http://vimeo.com/83344996

8. Aaron Pike
Again my skills are limited, but you can click on the link to hear his composition.  Composing music requires an understanding of how each instrument works together and harmonizes.  Creating an ear for that comes naturally but developing a masterpiece takes practice.  
9. Wendy Pike
The typical "Utah scrapbooking mom" is something we probably run into often, yet this is a creative way to showcase new ideas and designs.  While this isn't usually a digital project, others have decided to use the internet to share new skills and showcase their art.  Being able to aesthetically place the pictures while capturing the moment is another form of artwork.
10. Vanessa Vogel
Some people are talented and receive great opportunities to create on a larger scope.  Being part of a big company can dim talent, or force creativity, but knowing your craft and loving it showcases the true talent of an artist.  The picture is one that she personally created herself, but if you follow the link the main picture for the movie is something she digitally repurposed.  Although she may not have taken the picture, she enhanced someone else's art through her abilities with graphic design. 



No comments:

Post a Comment