Friday, February 14, 2014

I Can Feel You Through the Screen: Emotional Connection via Digital Medium

I feel the most awe in the digital landscape when I come across things that make me feel things through the screen per say. The message and presentation is so powerful that for a moment I forget that I'm only watching a reproduction, or reading an artificial preservation of their words. It's really only a bunch of code and a screen producing my experience, but nevertheless these experiences can be incredibly real. For me, these types of digital experiences often come through the form of recordings of slam poetry, blog posts, or Pinterest quotes, just to name a few. I've listed a few of examples of things that have brought me awe through the digital below. They are in no particular order.

1. "My Honest Poem"


I've watched/listened to this poem more times than I can remember. There is something within me that resonates deeply with it. The tone changes in his voice as the poem progresses are really powerful, and the poem is best experienced being watched and listened.

2.  "Touchscreen"


"When our technology is advanced enough to make us human again."
This poem describes the negative side of the digital evolution in such a way that never fails to leave me resenting technology and the artificiality it can engender.

3. "If I Should Have a Daughter"


Sarah Kay is brilliant and I'm jealous of her talent with words.

4. "The Fringe Benefits of Failure"


I don't go to Harvard, but thanks to technology I could listen to this amazing commencement speech by J.K. Rowling. She never fails to amaze me with her ability to transition from jokes to wisdom so seamlessly. This speech changed my perspective on life and accomplishment, and made me love the Harry Potter series only that much more.

5.  Run.


I first saw this on Pinterest. I love the type that looks like handwriting. It adds a human element, which makes it seem more real and reminds me that there is a life outside of screens that can only be dealt with through bodily activity, not just mental activity.

6.  Love, Taza

I am obsessed with following this adorable family's life in New York City through their mom's blog, and this blog post made me cry. It wasn't the first one of her blog posts to do that, either.

7.  Mumford & Sons lyrics on Pinterest


I never realized just how beautiful these lines were from their song "Sigh No More" until I saw them designed like this on Pinterest.

8.  "When Memory Began to Matter: The Story Told in Modern Literature and Philosophy"
Being able to watch this inspiring and intellectually stimulating discussion between BYU professors that ultimately left me awestruck was an experience that would not have been possible twenty years ago.

9.  National Geographic photography


Oh how I love this website and all of its free desktop wallpapers.

10. Skype


Whether it's across the Pacific Ocean, from Mexico to Utah, or from Washington to Nevada, Skype connects. Every time I use Skype, I am flabbergasted that it is even working in the first place, not because it's unreliable (although that is sometimes the case), but because it's amazing! It's a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment