Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The How To of The Digital World

I think it's amazing how many "how to's" there are online.
"How to make chocolate covered strawberries"
"How to get songs from your friend's ipod onto your computer"
"How to tie a bowtie"
"How to cook quinoa"
"How to use a semicolon"
For this post, I decided to go through my last month's computer history and see what "how to's" I googled.  I was mildly shocked and thoroughly entertained while at the same time very impressed with what information and answers I was instantaneously able to get hold of.

1. How to do the sweater dance.  My roommate was having a bad night and I wanted to cheer her up by surprising her with the sweater dance.



2. Learning how to pronounce "spaetzle," a German food, because I was going to a German deli in Salt Lake and didn't want to look like an idiot trying to order spaetzle.
 

3. I wanted to know how to get 6-Pack abs, because I'm going to Asia in May and have to wear lots of swimsuits.  With Jillian Michaels, I can!
 

4. How to make clay donuts.  My mom has always wanted realistic looking fake donuts for her kitchen, and for her birthday I was going to buy a set of terribly overpriced ones, but I found this video instead.  Actually, I found about 30 videos.


5. Someone in class mentioned they'd learned how to juggle in one night, so I searched videos on how to juggle.  I was actually able to do it for a bit!


6. Wanna be able to do the splits? This chick can teach you.


7. I recently got my first smartphone and realized I didn't know how to take a screenshot.  Fortunately for me there are plenty of forums telling me what to do.

8. How to avoid the seemingly unavoidable: crying when cutting onions

9. How to block calls and messages.  Never knew how easy it was and always avoided it because I thought it was a daunting task to complete.

10. My friends and I found a bunch of artichokes on sale, and I'd always wanted to try one.  I had a basic knowledge of how to cook artichokes -- typically, you steam them -- but the daunting occurred when it actually came time to eat them, because I realized I had no idea.  


Let's be real -- no, I don't become elevated to a state of awe with every "how to" that I search.  But I'm used to this way of living, and this ease.  I'm used to having almost any piece of information at the tips of my fingers.  And that's an unquestionably amazing power.

No comments:

Post a Comment