Friday, February 7, 2014

The Bonds of Awe that Make Readers


+Paul  told me an interesting statistic that 1/4 adults last year didn't read a single book.

I myself had a falling away from reading when I came to college.

Not only do readers fall away from reading, but this made me worry about people who never and kids who never even get into reading to begin with.

To fix this, supposedly, only ONE book can turn a non-reader into a reader

Why can this be? Because of the awe within the book

That seems so simple though. How can this be? There has to be something more to it

First, readers find a personal connection in a book.

This helps them through a hard time, resonates with them, or etc. It makes an impact on how they are feeling. 

This impact creates awe in the readers. 

This awe then creates a bond with the book.

I personal experienced this when I read Ethan Frome. Even though I over all hated the book, I found relief in a hard time and I discovered awe. This also opened my eyes to the power books can have and renewed my interest in reading.

I read an article on the psychology of reading a good book too. It said that even 5 days after reading a good book our brain is still reacting to what we read. 

How does this make a reader? We become to love this bond with books. 

So we keep having to go back for more to find more awe and make more bonds.

and have a need to continue this cycle and find new books which leads to a love for reading and the creation of readers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment