Friday, January 17, 2014

A Bigger Perspective on the Universe

My first post from my wonder journal talks about how reading 2001: A Space Odyssey gave me some new, awe-inspiring questions about the universe. Growing up, I was never really into outer-space or astronauts so I never spent much time pondering or experiencing awe about the universe around me. As I've grown, I've learned to love looking at the stars, and finding awesome telescope images like these:
http://local.msn.com/nasa-nebulae


(There are a lot more like this at the link). The planets, however, have never been a source of awe for me. This all changed when reading 2001: A Space Odyssey.



This passage from chapter 20 "The World of the Gods" gave a frightening and awe-inspiring description of Jupiter. While this is a fictional image, I was struck by the idea that Jupiter is made of something. It is made of a lot of things and looks like a lot of things that we are unaware of because we can't technologically see everything there. I then began wondering the purpose of Jupiter's creation. It has always been my belief that God created the universe, and finally the realization that God created Jupiter (and Mars, and Saturn, etc) for a purpose hit me.

Moses 1:39 reads, "For behold, this is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." God has a purpose, and most likely all of His creations pertain to this purpose. The awe-inspiring questions this knowledge has given me are: what is the eternal purpose of unihabited planets? Why did God create Jupiter? What knowledge are we missing about creation and planets, and even the "empty" space that fills so much of the universe? This distance and space must serve a purpose, what is that purpose? How much more knowledge am I not able to understand/access in this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment