Sunday, January 26, 2014

My Listicle of Awe



Listicle: a listicle is a short-form of writing that uses a list as its thematic structure
  • Persuasion & Emma, Jane Austen 
    • The maturity of Persuasion astounds me, and Anne is perfect. Emma is so different from her others and really changed me in many ways. The two together inspire awe.
  • Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
    • This is that book for me, the one I love so much that no one can ruin it. I love this book in a way I don't even understand.
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns & The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
    • I was only going to put A Thousand Splendid Suns until I realized that the two books together are what inspired awe in me. Such beautiful stories and language.
  • Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
    • I just remember reading the end and having epiphany after epiphany as Huxley ties all of his themes together; I would reread certain passages dozens of times while I tried to wrap my head around everything.
  • "The Stolen Boat" episode in The Prelude, William Wordsworth
    • Beautiful language, beautiful imagery, and the perfect experience with the sublime in nature.
  • Steinbeck, anything really
    •  Stories that stick with you even when you don't want them to.
  • Hamlet or King Lear, Shakespeare
    • Hamlet was my first authentic experience with Shakespeare and when I realized for myself how brilliant he was. Lear was this same experience transcended.
  • The King Follett Discourse, Joseph Smith
    • A mind-blowing source of information and revelation.
  • Invictus, William Ernest Henley
    • So much power in so few lines. Also, the movie Invictus about Nelson Mandela and rugby is one of the only films that has ever inspired wonder/awe in me.
  • The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
    • The most powerful YA book I've ever read. The imagery and craft of the language is astounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment