Monday, January 27, 2014

Literature of the Sublime

Here are ten works that evoke a sense of wonder from me when I read them:

(1) The Book of Mormon.  Cliche, I know, but the truth is that there's a special feeling I get every time I read it.  It's the most powerful book out there that will help you feel the Spirit.  Powerful, incredible stuff.

(2) The Mistborn Trilogy.  Written by Brandon Sanderson, these books take place in his fictional universe called the Cosmere.  Scientific magic reigns, as the main characters try to over through the evil Lord Emperor and then try to prevent the end of the world.

(3) Jurassic Park.  Dinosaurs come to live in the real world.  "Nough said.

(4) Nightfall.  This short story by Ray Bradbury is a classic tale of another world where it is always light out due to several suns, and of the population that needs light to stay sane.  But what were to happen if an event occurred that happened every thousand years . . . a complete solar eclipse of all suns when there is total darkness?

(5) Children of the Mind.  The book "Ender's Game" was the first in a series of four books; this is the last.  three different unique alien races, faster than light travel by traveling to the "Outside," and one person's essence occupying three bodies simultaneously make for a great read.

(6) The Prestige.  The book that the film was based on.  I like it because of the suspense and mysteries, even if several are already known because you've seen the movie.

(7) The BFG.  One of my favorite Rhold Dahl books.  My favorite scene is where the BFG goes out to hunt for dreams and collects them and puts them together to give to children while they sleep.

(8) Catch-22.  Weird, zany novel.  For me, it's the wacky characters and situations are what produce the sublime.

(9) Bless Me, Ultima.  The book I shared in class.  A young boy struggles growing up and he has to decide between the supernatural which he is accustomed to and Christianity.  The crazy dream scenes are the best.

(10) Elantris.  The second work on this list by Brandon Sanderson, but I think that's okay because I'm planning my Wonder (final paper) to be about him and his books.  In this book, magic is produced by writing specific symbols in the air.  Depending on the shape of the symbol depends on what it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment