Friday, January 17, 2014

Soul to Soul

I have always loved music. I have always felt a connection to music - that it expresses how I feel more than words or anything else. While I was at my friend's house one night, she told me that she had been writing new music - lyrics and guitar. She pulled out her guitar and began to open up her soul to me - the music that she had been writing to face all of the hard things in her life. Her beautiful voice matched the deep emotional lyrics and the music just enhanced everything - cradled everything in its lap. Afterwards I was thinking about how cool that was. The moment was captured by us sitting on the couch, listening to her sing and share with me her feelings and thoughts about life. And it was only afterwards talking with my roommates about the power of music and that idea of creating or writing music that shared with me that feeling of awe. Feeling small and insignificant but also amazed at the power of mankind.

Once before, there was a time without that music that my friend wrote. Once my friend created it, then it existed. Created out of nothing. My friend created it. And then it existed.

Not only awe of the existence of that music, but also I felt awe of that moment. The moment of forgetting that everything existed and that I could just enjoy the moment. It's not often that we can do that these days. We are always interrupted by the phone, the computer, the tablet, the list of long things that we need to do. How often do we take that moment to just exist? To enjoy something? To feel the awe of music and also of friendship and emotion? I liked how +Greg said that it's like his soul resonates with the music. Just how my friend opened up her soul through her music, our souls resonate with that too. Because the music crosses boundaries. Reaches soul to soul.

It becomes so awesome when we think that way. But has always been so mundane. Creating something exquisite and beautiful out of nothing that was there before, something new.

It was a moment that blew my mind.

P.S. Secretly I wonder how much I am reading too much into my life. Am I seeing the wonder where it didn't exist before? I mean writing music and sharing that with people. Is my life more enriched because I can see the wonder in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment