Sunday, January 26, 2014

My List

There is no particular order with mine.  I honestly love stories that are raw and depict life how it truly is, filled with the struggles and positive aspects of life.  Honestly each of these books have impacted me in some way.

1.  Frankenstein-  Meditating on who was the true monster and how nature creates or brings back humanity
2. Pride and Prejudice- One of the first moments that I can remember when I found literature to be exciting.  I couldn’t put it down.
3.  The Hunger Games- I felt empowered and the need to stand up for what was right.  It made me feel like one person truly can make a difference.
4.  The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn-  I loved how raw it was.  Twain’s ability to illustrate reality while pointing out the flaws in thinking really impacted me  
5.  Aguas de Chocolate-  Very empowering to read as a female. I loved how it showcased the importance of not allowing the traditions of our cultures to allow bad behavior in our society.
6.  Warrior (film)- The power of these actors had in order to show the depths of sorrow and vulnerability of pain caused me to continue thinking even after the movie.  I love when the realities we face are portrayed.
7.  “To Room 19” (short story)-  I am attracted to the modernist era.  I am amazed by Lessing’s ability to portray the pain of this woman, her critique on other modernist writers, and her fearlessness in writing.
8.  The Book of Acts-  I cannot even fathom how these apostles could continuously preach the gospel under such struggles and rejection.
9.  My Story: Elizabeth Smart- Although I was creeped out for a week after reading it, and it isn’t necessarily a liter…I couldn’t begin to describe how much respect I have for her for sharing her story and having a positive attitude afterwards.  Really changed my perspective on her situation and how she handled it.  

10.  East of Eden-  Honestly Steinbeck’s brilliance in this book just gives me the chills.  I find it so amazing how he was able to create characters around the idea of Adam and Eve yet make it so new.

No comments:

Post a Comment