Thursday, January 23, 2014

Inquiry

"Inquiry is wonder" said a fellow classmate during an inspired discussion about teaching writing. Naturally, at the word wonder I dove into my backpack and grabbed my wonder journal, scrawling this quote on the first blank page. When I had to go back and write my entry, I pondered about what this statement even means. I guess that wondering about something is very similar to inquiring about something, though how are wondering and wonder itself related?

Some ideas I have come to:
  • Inquire means to "make a formal investigation," which is decidedly different than simply asking. 
  • Inquire comes from a Latin word meaning "seek," again different than asking.
  • Inquiry implies action beyond asking questions; it implies looking for an answer, researching, investigating.
In the context of teaching writing, inquiry leads to more engagement and a higher experience. Is this "higher experience" something that can translate to other contexts? Can inquiry about the unknown, the overwhelming, the eternal, the sublime lead to an awe-inspiring experience? I think yes, though I think inquiry is just one of many pathways to an encounter with awe and wonder. What about you guys? Have you thought how "wondering things" leads to wonder itself?


No comments:

Post a Comment