Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Place Where the Gods Were Created

Temple of the Feathered Serpent
The Teotihuacan Temple when translated means the place where the Gods were created.  After visiting the temples I can assure you that this truly is a place where Gods are created.  When visitng the temples I was very lucky to be guided by an LDS archeaologist who taught us that according to his research these were temples were they did some of the same ordinances we do today, the only difference, it involved a lot more walking.  While I am not going to go through all the details and things that he had taught us, it is sufficent to say that this was a temple where very special things happened.
Pyramid of the Moon


The detail on the temples were amazing.  I honestly cannot understand how they were able to do so much.  The height alone at the Sun Temple is around 200 feet tall.  This caused me to wonder how they were able to construct multiple temples on these grounds that all were very large.  The stairs at the Sun Temple are so steep that at one point you have to climb up with the aid of your hands.  This ritual represented the trial of life; we have many points when we have to crawl in order to reach out destination.  And once you reached the top, according to our tour guide, an important ritual was done in order to cleanse you. 


 But the reason why this cite impacted me so much was my connection to their past.  Although it's possible that I have no relation to anyone who created this temple, I felt a strong connection to my Mexican roots.  One of my friends, Marina Moreno, commented that "it looked as if I enjoyed my journey to these beautiful places filled with history and culture", and this was true.  It was there that I felt reborn creatively.  I saw what those before me were able to do, and that in turn made me think of what I can do.  Can I too create something that could impact so many?  Maybe what I do will be on a smaller scale, but it was the awe that I felt that ignited once again something that had been dorment.  It was due to my ancestors that I too felt a cleansing in my own Spirit.

 I am so grateful to have been able to visit the Teotihuacan temples. I am in awe by their ability to construct something so beautiful, detailed, and complicated; and it still stands today. I realize that our ancestors really dictate our present and future. With the aid of others before us our creativity can advance and continue forward. I mean it has to start somewhere!




No comments:

Post a Comment