Thursday, January 30, 2014

Food = Awe?

There are some things in life that completely captivate me, and when they do I become a very passionate advocate about that thing.  I feel quite often that I lack passion for things.  It is quite difficult for me to find what it is that I truly love while it seems easy for others.  But when I do find it I really love it and I am hooked; sometimes I also get carried away by these passions.  I remember watching the documentary Hungry for Change, yes it is true some documentaries fall under the category of dogmatic theories but this one really changed my view on health.  I hadn’t been taking care of myself and decided I was going to try something new; so I bought a juicer and started the journey.  Now I don’t want this to sound like a testimonial, although I am sure it is sounding like that right about now, but what amazed me was how purely drinking vegetables and fruits changed my attitude.  So I got sucked into it even more.  I am happy to know that from Cara’s comment she also loves juicing.  I guess the thing that created awe was the spiritual connection I began to have with God.  I saw that in all His infinite power He would create things so common that could heal us emotionally and physically.  I began to buy books to study up on the power of vegetables and fruits, and in the end all of this directed me back to D&C 89,
10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
“Contains more anutrients with demonstrable anticancer properties than any other vegetable family…one of the American Cancer Society’s key dietary recommendations to reduce the risk of cancer is to include on a regular basis cruciferous vegetables”  -The Complete Book of Juicing
I find it so amazing that God knows our bodies perfectly.  While I do believe in medicine I also believe there are many ways to heal our bodies simply by using the things that God has provided for us.  I know that these moments of awe with food created a personal rejuvenation within my own soul.  And although this may seem stereotypical, this lead me to practice yoga and do other things that would allow me to further meditate and find awe in life.  Unfortunately I have been sucked back into the busy schedule of life, and maybe this is why it is so hard for me to find awe in everyday life.  I am not looking or having sincere moments of meditation.  In the end these ideas lead me to my final paper project, the power of food in literature that influences women’s lives and leads to awe.  Hmmm, and all of this started from talking about juicing vegetables and fruits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment