Friday, January 17, 2014

Moments in a Museum

I have no idea how the Museum of Art got hold of all the paintings in its current exhibition: Sacred Gifts. Everyone who has the opportunity absolutely must attend, it only takes a few minutes.  I went on a break during class because I felt like I needed some uplifting and had heard something about a current exhibit going on.  My experience left me stunned.
At the entrance of the exhibit, there is a scripture referring to talents being gifts from God.  I kept this in mind as I walked around, and wondered loosely to myself while trying to take in the full impact of each piece: what does it feel like to have this talent?  And where is the mind when undertaking a painting of the mocking of Christ, or of Christ suffering in Gethsemane?  How does an artist know when he or she has sufficiently captured the emotions of the Savior at the various points surrounding the atonement? And how amazing is it that a mere combination of brushes, paints, and strokes on a canvas can create something so powerful?  My favorite painting from the whole exhibit is this one below:

It displays children of God from all different walks of life.  The one that nearly brought me to tears was the man on the right which the chains around his wrists.  According to the text accompanying the painting, he is a prisoner wondering if his sacrifice of a broken heart will be enough for Christ to accept him.  I was so moved by the simplicity and tenderness of this onlooking man, who truly has nothing else to give.  I wish I could put into perfect words why this moment touched me with more intensity than any other throughout the exhibit, but suppose that that lack of ability to describe it is all the more indicative of having been awed.  I wonder about the other individuals who have gone through the exhibit, and what characters or images brought them to a state of awe.  Has anybody else been to the exhibit?  If so, did anything particularly move you?

No comments:

Post a Comment