Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Girl Em

I say this all the time but....
I always tell people that I chose to teach English
because literature holds a power within us.

It is this power that always helps me come to terms 
with life,
with struggles,
with my mind's worries.

Take this for example:


I grew up in a religious home
--not that strictly religious
but we went to church
every Sunday

and I came to BYU 
and went to church 
every Sunday

and that didn't resonate with me 
and my typical BYU self that couldn't let go

now excuse me and forgive me and I understand. 
This may seem a bit blasphemous to some. 
I know. My mom tells me every single Sunday. 

But it is kind of a big deal for me. 

I came to BYU 
to get a degree
....to get married
to have my testimony built and strengthened
and all of those magical things 

and interestingly enough
I got this Emily Dickinson poem. 
Some keep the Sabbath going to Church –
I keep it, staying at Home –
With a Bobolink for a Chorister –
And an Orchard, for a Dome – 
Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –
I, just wear my Wings –
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton – sings. 
God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.
Despite what I was probably supposed to get with my church school experience 

I got Emily Dickinson's metaphors. 
She brought together my two worlds 
To fix my soul torn in half.
I can experience everything 
Without the traditional structure
But as I feel right for me.

I got Emily Dickinson's simple language. 
She stated things matter of fact
To smooth my confused wants.
I can live without all the constructs 
And still be a good person
It's that simple

I got Emily Dickinson's dashes
She let things out and pushed things aside 
To show me it is okay to let go. 
I can let go.
I can choose to do what works
And everything else doesn't matter.  

I got all of these things
and I got the satisfaction of knowing
the exact thing I needed
to satisfy my feelings at that moment
through the power of literature
to open my eyes beyond the limits
of things that seem so small. 

all seemingly so simple.
yet so impacting to my life. 

and that's the awe.
the power. the bond. the peace. 
the simplicity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment