Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cycles of Awe Social Proof

So far I have sent emails to The International James Joyce Foundation and The James Joyce Scholar's Collection asking input on the Dubliners aspects of my paper. I have not received responses from them yet, but here is part of the email I sent to them asking for their scholarship.

"...Part of my claim asserts that the characters in Dubliners experience the “epiphany moment” or “awe moment,” and one of two things happens: one, they recognize their epiphany as an enlightening moment to which their understanding of life or self matures (similar to the "turning point" stage in the hero's journey); two, they fail to recognize or act upon the lesson behind their epiphany because fear usurps the enlightenment (similar to the "failure" stage in the hero's journey). ... My question to you is if these interpretations are at all valid. What has your interpretations of the epiphanies in Dubliners lead you to believe? How much did James Joyce want his readers, specifically Dublin people, to break from the Dublin life as he did? Are some epiphanies more hopeful than others, like the epiphany moment in “The Dead” for example? Any and all input or suggestions would be valuable and deeply appreciated..."

I have also sent an email to Kirk J. Schenider for input on the psychology of awe since he has written several books on the matter. No answer from him yet either.

More hopeful though are the discussions I've had on Google+ and the email I sent to Professor Watts at BYU. I've gotten a response under the James Joyce community on the ideas of awe and epiphanies in Dubliners. In the Children's Books community, I didn't ask for input on my ideas but I did ask for venues and got two responses, one of which was very thorough. With Professor Watts, I have her as a professor and already took a Dubliners class from her a few semesters ago. I will keep corresponding with her for scholarship as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment