Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Erin's Attempt for Social Proof

I emailed Dr. Sue Schopf, a Harvard professor in the English department who recently taught a class there centered around post-apocalyptic literature and films.

Here is the email:

Dr. Schopf, 

My name is Erin McMullin, and I'm a graduating senior at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, graduating with a bachelor's degree in English. The highlight of my semester has been the opportunity to take an English degree capstone class - a class that is entirely focused on the concept of awe. And as part of that class, I have been studying and writing abut the relationship between awe and terror, according to Edmund Burke's treatise on the sublime, specifically how that relates to post-apocalyptic literature. 

I was wondering if you would mind taking the time to answer a few of my questions concerning post-apocalyptic literature and how that reflects society's condition and its anxieties today. I read that you recently taught an entire course at Harvard on post-apocalyptic literature and films, and I'm curious to hear your opinion concerning a few specific angles. 

Do you believe that post-apocalyptic literature has found a recent popularity because it reflects fears or anxieties of society today? And if so,why? Why do you think that, despite the terror and fear portrayed in the literature and films, this genre is still successful?

I'm specifically focusing on Cormac McCarthy's The Road. How do you think that this book specifically reflects anxieties relating to historic atomic bombs and/or the threat of nuclear attacks? 

I am arguing in my paper that post-apocalyptic literature explores question of what is right or wrong, especially in an extreme circumstance, and how it comments on today's condition of mankind. What do you think about this? And do you think that society realizes that post-apocalyptic literature does this? 

I appreciate your time and consideration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment