Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Final Fantasy Paper--that's (final "fantasy paper,") not ("final fantasy" paper)

What started out as a simple idea of how Sanderson was awesome has expanded into whole new solid foundations.  Let's start at the beginning.
So my first main idea was how Sanderson used epiphany, and that that's what made his works so wonder-filled.  My wonder-kamen was all about that, and I received comments from my classmates on how I needed to give a backdrop of what epiphany really meant and how that dealt wit awe before I brought Sanderson into it and complicated matters.  So for my second version I talked more about the genre of fantasy and hard fantasy.  I showed this to someone outside of our class, and he gave me suggestions on how I could define certain words (like duex ex macina) and he really helped me clarify what I really wanted to say.

With the first version of my paper, I wrote an introduction as to how fantasy was THE genre of awe.  The feedback I received was that I first needed to preface that section wit a section on the definition of awe and what awe was, so that then I'd be able to tie everything in my fantasy section back to those definitions.  I took that advice and included an introductory part to my paper dealing with the definitions of awe.  During my 'fantasy as the genre of awe' part I was then able to reference back to the first section, which grounded my paper in more theory than guess work.
My next version of the paper included a lot of the stuff about epiphany.  After getting feedback I quoted way too much, I decided to cut back on that part of my paper.  By that time I was already over half way done with my paper and so it ended up being just a small section near e end of my paper.
I took this paper and showed it to my friend and fellow Sanderson fan, who is not a member of this class.  They commented on things and helped me to know which parts of paper I needed to elaborate more on, less on, and polish up.  In the end, my paper would not have been possible without the help of these great people.
I brought my final paper to class today, but figuring our Professor wanted a digital copy, I figured I might as well try to put one up.  So here it is:  My Epic Brandon Sanderson Fantasy Awe Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment