Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Food Review

The assignment to speak to enthusiasts and experts in our field has been difficult, but it has also been very rewarding.  I am posting this a little late because I just got out of an interview with Genevieve Pierce, who works at the Women's Center at BYU.  Genevieve is a Dietetics major at BYU and was able to help me find more information about eating disorders and food as a coping mechanism.  Through this interview she gave me great ideas to continue studying about.  For example, she discussed the idea of mindful eating, which helps people reconnect with food by getting back to the basics of scent and taste.  She also shared with me that the Center for Change in Orem, which helps women with eating disorders, only has group meals in order to take the focus off of the individual, and help one another through a group setting.  This information has helped me find new avenues to study.  As we spoke different workers also gave me other suggestions of books or websites that may help me with this project.  LaNae Valentine, director of the Women's services, happened to be there while I was talking to Geneviece, and she asked me to send her my paper to possibly get published in their next magazine.  I didn't even think of this forum for publishing.  It was a great experience.

I also got in contact with the Women's studies here on campus.  The lady I spoke to was very interested in my paper topic, and said she would find people for me to talk to.  I haven't been able to set up an appointment yet, but she said she could find professors that would be able to help me with this specific topic.  I have also emailed other professors that may be helpful.  I may even try to find a Old Testament professor who could help with my theory on Eve.  All in all this was a great experience.    

No comments:

Post a Comment