Monday, April 7, 2014

The Evolution of Awe

Well, I'm at just over 4,800 words so far for my paper. I've left some wiggle room, as my publication venues allow for submissions of a maximum of 5,000 words. In any case, I'm finally to a premise that I can get behind, and while it doesn't have the same direction or social implications as my previous topics, I think it's a good direction for my research. Here's my thesis, and the link to the paper itself is below that.

THESIS: We are experiencing a transformation of the way in which we experience awe, and while we necessarily move toward an understanding of awe that is not only more abstract in some ways but in other regards less real, our capacity to experience awe remains the same as we actively implement modern technologies in creating awe. As society evolves to be able to meditate upon increasingly complex social, artistic, and philosophical values and issues, so also must our modes of expression and conveyance necessarily take on abstraction as a way of accommodating the ever-complicating human narrative.

Rough draft of the paper
  

No comments:

Post a Comment