Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Venue Researching for Evolution of Awe


Venue Research and Reading Report
In preparation for submitting to Digital America, I read the following two articles:
Murakami, Kenta. "The Demise of net.art: A Look at Artifacts Past." Digital America. 21 Oct 2013. Web. Accessed 8 April 2014.
Connor, Kayleigh. "The Male Domain: Exclusion of Women in Video Games." Digital America. 30 Jan 2014. Web. Accessed 8 April 2014. 
Venue Title and Sponsoring Organization
Digital America is an interdisciplinary journal open to everyone from undergraduate to PhD. It is funded by an Andrew W. Mellon Foundation through the University of Richmond



Call for Papers and Dates
Digital America is a new journal, so it is open for submissions at any time. It is published quarterly, so my submission would be considered for either the summer or fall issue.

Topic
The submissions page says that Digital America engages any and all topics relating to America and digital studies, and with the Internet being an American phenomenon, I think my paper will fit in nicely. Based on some of the articles I saw, it looks like the emphasis has been mostly on the digital and less on the America, so it should work out fine. In fact, they say, "We encourage creative responses to these parameters as we understand the complexities of engaging “America” in a global, networked world."

Length
Submissions are expected to be between 400 and 5,000 words. I was already aiming for 5,000, so this is a good fit.

Formatting
No documentation style was  indicated, but it looks pretty much like MLA but not quite so detailed. Their emphasis seems to be on webpages anyway, which they just link to directly, with it being an online journal. Images are allowed but not necessary, though I will probably include a few. Subheadings are kind of a hit or miss kind of thing, but neither of the articles I read had them, so I'll probably try to keep them as minimal as possible.

Tone & Rhetorical Approach
The tone is generally very conversational, though it assumes a well-educated audience that knows what is going on in digital spheres. It assumes, for example, that one is familiar with web browsers, social media, etc. but takes the time to explain less commonly known trends, like the net.art movement or gaming terms. The style is generally very approachable as a whole but definitely assumes an educated audience.

Social Media
It looks like with it being new, the journal doesn't have a ton of traction on social media as of yet, but I found a Twitter profile for it, and there have been a few tweets talking about it. There's also a page about it on Facebook, but I have Facebook blocked on my home computer, so I can't access it. In any case, they are using the hashtags #digiamerica and #digitalamerica

Mentions
1) I tweeted about the journal and asked for other suggestions as well. I did the same on Google+.
2) Meghan Rosatelli is the only who has posted about the journal on Twitter, and I haven't found any posts on Google+ so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment