Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Venue for Graze Magazine

Venue Research and Reading Report
I am preparing to send my paper to Graze Magazine, but because it is a private magazine they only had limited pages to browse. The pages that I was able to access were short stories and photos. I did email them about length and qualifications for a literary essay, but I still haven't received a response. I did find an interview with the co-founders, and read about the submission section on Graze's website.


Venue Title and Sponsoring Organization
Graze Magazine.


Call for Papers and Dates (for submission, and for event/publication)
The next volume will be published in October and the final written submissions are due June 20th.


Topic
I feel my paper topic would be appropriate for this venue because my piece discusses the effect of food on women. My paper discusses cultural and societal problems surronding food and women. In the interview with the co-founders they stated, 


 Food is something that appears so frequently in fiction, non-fiction, and poetry and we wanted to provide a forum for thinking about literature through that lens—for seeing how food is working in the literature and how it's helping us understand the characters and situations, the history, and the experiences that we're presenting in Graze.

Q: Aside from word count and form, what do you look for when you're weeding through submissions? How do you know a piece is perfect for Graze?
Cyndi: I think the same way that you know that a good dish at a restaurant is the most delicious thing. It's sort of like, you take a bite and it surprises you, but it's also very familiar at the same time. It kind of feels like a perfect storm where we say, "Yes! This is exactly what we wanted.” 

I feel that my idea is edgy and goes with the direction of the magazine.

Length
It states online that the maximum is 5,000 words, but I feel that I would have a better shot if it was a shorter paper.  I think 12 pages should be my maximum.
Formatting
Like I stated earlier I emailed them, but I still haven't received a response.  The only examples I found were the short stories, and illustrations.  I am hoping to hear from them soon.  I do know that the co-founders are on LinkedIn so I may try that way.  I also searched twitter and sent out a tweet to possibly find more information on formatting.

Tone & Rhetorical Approach
I found that they had a Facebook page, but since I don't have Facebook I didn't find it to be the msot useful page.  I did use Twitter and I sent out a tweet to @Grazemagazine for more information on publishing my paper.  Earlier I sent out an email and didn't receive a response, but I got a response to my tweet.  That was exciting, and I am going to write them another email.  They are using hastags like #issuefive, but besides that they don't use too many hashtags. 

Identify the tone and rhetorical approach of your target venue. Refer to examples in the articles or abstracts that you read.
Social Media
Jenna Stemple

Anothony Todd- he is actually the associate editor, but it is good to know and now I can tweet him if they don't respond to my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment