Tuesday, April 8, 2014

English Journal Vetted

Venue Research and Reading Report
I looked at pieces from the Continuous Becoming: Moving toward Mastery column of the English Journal. The English Journal has columns on certain topics that they run and I feel that my piece fits into the theme well. I could actually only find two pieces, so I am not sure if it is a newer column or something that they don't get a lot of submissions to.

Call for Papers and Dates (for submission, and for event/publication)
They accept submissions to the column year round. This is good because I felt like ti was easier to tailor my paper to rather than looking at a narrow topic.

Topic
I interpreted the call to be anything that helps teachers to become better teachers. With that, I geared my paper towards how teachers and how I have reawakened awe in my reading.

Length
The word count is 1200-2000. My paper is a little long; and after looking at the submissions, that is good I think because I could easily cut things that wouldn't work with the column like some of my discussion on efferent vs aesthetic.

Formatting
Some pieces seem to have in text citations where others do not. All of the articles do have sub headings breaking everything up.

Tone & Rhetorical Approach
I am actually glad I had looked at articles from the English Journal before and was familiar with the tone because everything takes a very personal tone. The whole point is how you have worked out things and sharing your experiences with other teachers. This is something that I worked into my paper and the approach I took from pretty much the beginning. I reworked my first two paragraphs to fit and they could perhaps use more work.

Social Media
NCTE does have social media accounts. They seem to just be doing a lot of reposting. I think the right approach would be to look up specific people. There is a weekly #NCTEchat, but I don't know if it would be rude to interrupt.

------------------------------

After classes today, I actually think the Utah CTE Journal would probably be a better approach. Or maybe not better but alternative. It is reviewed and edited by BYU students often and all of our professors coordinate it. Not that the actual English Journal isn't an option, the Utah journal is a little less strict, has less submissions, take more of what they can get sort of thing I think.


I still think my paper is a good fit for the article above, I just realize I am a preservice teacher and don't know how that would look to them when they want teachers. Perhaps I would need to wait to submit until say I sign papers with my district and then I am legit hahah I also think my paper could be strengthen for the venues by having real world experience as related to teaching to write in


HUZZAHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment